The Future of Online Video Platforms
As TDG first predicted in 2008, video viewing continues to shift from legacy TV to broadband video platforms. This change has necessitated a transformation in the tools, technology, and workflow used to deliver video to end consumers. One particularly important development has been the emergence of online video platforms (OVPs) that provide SaaS-based solutions to rights-holders, content owners, and others seeking to capitalize on the growth of this new medium.
This report provides TDG’s first-ever examination of the OVP market, focusing on the opportunities and (very real) challenges facing this new industry. The report builds on and extends a number of previous TDG reports, including The Future of TV Viewing, 2016- 2025, and provides:
- An overview of OVP features and services,
- An examination of the drivers and inhibitors of OVP growth,
- Forecasts for captive and non-captive viewing of SVOD, AVOD, and TVE its impact on OVP growth during the next decade (2016-2025),
- A discussion of key OVP industry players; and
- Recommendations for key ecosystem participants, including MVPDs, OTT operators, public-cloud and CDN vendors, and content creators.